Walton F. Hoffmann Memorial Post 179


For more information on joining or to submit an application 

contact Sandi Schendel (<--click to email her) or call her at 210-842-2228.

The American Legion has voted to extend membership in the American Legion Auxiliary to male spouses of U.S. veterans and servicemembers.  During The American Legion National Convention in Indianapolis in August 2019, delegates of The American Legion voted to replace the word “wife” with “spouse” in their constitution and bylaws, opening up membership in the American Legion Auxiliary.

Why is The American Legion and the American Legion Auxiliary making this change?  Currently, 1.9 million women veterans are living in the United States, and 9% of the U.S. military is female.  By 2045, it’s estimated that 18% of the U.S. military will be comprised of women.

“As we welcome eligible male spouses into the American Legion Auxiliary, we gain another perspective on the needs of military families — enabling the Auxiliary to support even more veterans, servicemembers, and their families,” said 2019-2020 American Legion Auxiliary National President Nicole Clapp.


1.    Print off and complete the American Legion Auxiliary Membership Application: English Version (pdf) | Spanish Version (pdf)   Ensure you enter Post 179.

2.    Obtain proof of your eligibility.  Note:  If the person who provides your eligibility is living, they must be a current member of The American Legion and eligibility documentation is likely not necessary; however you do need to provide his or her American Legion member ID number and Post information on your application.

       If the person who provides your eligibility is deceased, acceptable eligibility documents include:

    a.    DD-214 Discharge Papers (not issued until after the Korean War)
    b.    Official Military Orders
    c.    Official Military Service Citations/Awards
    d.    Letters related to the veteran’s military service. Must be on official government letterhead.
    e.    Certificate from the VA records center in St. Louis
    f.     Data from the back of older discharges

* DD-214 Discharge Papers can be requested online by visiting www.archives.gov