American Legion Scholarships
American Legion Scholarships Home Page
For current instructions for filing for the below listed scholarships please contact Post 179 Adjutant at 830-625-0179.
- Walter & Myrtle Schlather Memorial Scholarship (NBISD)
- Sons of the American Legion Scholarship
Texas Boys State
- To develop civic leadership and pride in American citizenship.
- To develop a keen interest in government.
- To develop in the young citizens of Boys State a full understanding of our American traditions and belief in the United States of America.
- To develop in the young citizens a determination to maintain our form of government.
- To inculcate a sense of individual obligation to the community, state and nation.
- To safeguard and transmit to posterity the principles of justice, freedom and democracy.
Texas Bluebonnet Girls State
The format for the 77th Session of Texas Bluebonnet Girls State will be virtual. The dates for the session are June 20th to June 25th. We look forward to another great session this year.
American Legion Legacy Scholarship
Provides college funding to children of post-9/11 veterans who died on active duty, or those who have a combined VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater. Apply January 1 to April 15.
National High School Oratorical Contest Scholarship
The purpose of The American Legion’s National High School Oratorical Contest is to develop a deeper knowledge and appreciation of the Constitution of the United States on the part of high school students. Other objectives of the contest include the development of leadership qualities, the ability to think and speak clearly and intelligently, and the preparation for acceptance of the duties and responsibilities, the rights and privileges of American citizenship.
The 2021 American Legion National Oratorical Contest, April 9-11 in Indianapolis, has been canceled for the health and safety of all involved during this ongoing pandemic.